If you are new to kratom you may notice that it has a bitter taste. A lot of people do not mind this as they will mask it with some orange juice. However, you may be wondering about the best way to take kratom, as there are different methods to choose from. In this guide, we will explore your options so you can find the best method for you.
How Does Kratom Come?
To figure out the best method of taking kratom, we must also look at the various ways that it comes.
- Leaf – The leaves are harvested from the mitragyna speciosa tree. Traditionally, the leaf of the kratom plant was chewed. In addition to chewing the leaves, they can be dried and crushed into a powder, used to brew a delicious kratom tea, or one of the newest ways to take kratom is by using the leaves in an herbal vaporizer.
- Powder – The leaves that are harvested can be crushed into a powder and this powder can be used in various ways.
- Capsules – If you do not like the bitterness, you can choose to have the powder added to a capsule. You can buy pre-made capsules or DIY your own.
- Tinctures or Extracts – You can use powder or leaves to make a tincture or you can choose to buy a pre-made tincture or extract from a reputable vendor. Tinctures are one of the most potent ways to take kratom.
- Kratom Vape Juice – One of the newest ways to take it is by vaping it. However, there are reports that the juice can clog the coils, so you may want to wait on this method until it has been perfected a bit more. Plus, it is hard to find kratom vape juice.
- Gum – This form of kratom is also relatively new and is not easily accessible.
What is the best way to take kratom?
Now that you know the different forms in which kratom comes, next, let us go into detail about the best way to take your kratom.
Loose Leaf & Tea
Traditionally the leaf of the kratom tree was chewed. It was used in various cultures and religious ceremonies throughout Southeast Asia. This was way before a drying process was put in place for the leaf once it was harvested. Once the leaves are dried, they crumble easily. So, there could be some vendors who offer crushed leaves.
Because it has a bitter taste, users are always trying to find ways to enhance the way they take their dose of kratom. You can use a leaf to make a pot of kratom tea. It is a soothing and relaxing way to enjoy it. Making a kratom tea is not difficult. Check out our blog about how you can make your own kratom tea at home. You will want to make sure that you add your kratom to water that is hot but not boiling. The active alkaloid compounds can withstand hot temperatures, but you should not boil kratom powder or the leaves directly in a pot or pour boiling water over them.
Tea is one of the easiest and most rewarding ways to consume it. It goes from taking a dose of kratom to sipping on a nice warm cup of tea. Alternatively, you could have a cold glass of iced kratom tea.
So as you can see leaf & tea are one of the best ways to take kratom, but there is more.
- Straining the leaves means that you are not getting as much plant matter. This is a bonus because it could prove to be easier on your stomach than other methods of taking kratom.
- The great thing about tea is that you can mix in anything you like to make it your own, such as honey, ginger, cinnamon, or any other herbs and spices you enjoy. You can make it how you like it and design your own aroma and flavors.
- It may be difficult to locate a reputable vendor that offers kratom leaves.
- You may not have time to wait for a tea to steep, as it will require about 15 minutes to 20 minutes of your time.
- It still may be hard to mask the bitter taste depending on the strain you are using.
Toss and Wash Technique
If you are in a hurry or you wish to take your dose quickly to get away from the taste of kratom, then you could try the toss and wash method. It is a simple and good technique that works well with kratom. It allows you to take your dose and experience the taste as little as possible. For the toss and wash technique, you place the powder in your mouth and take a big drink of water. Many kratom users recommend this method.
When wanting to try the toss and wash method follow these steps:
- Take a drink of water and hold it in your mouth.
- Then take half of your kratom with a spoon.
- Take another drink of water to flush it down quickly.
- Repeat with the second half.
A lot of people choose to take their full dose when using the toss and wash method. It is really whatever works best for you. Give both ways a try and see which method makes taking your kratom dose easier.
- Can be taken quickly without any fussing around. Perfect for those who are in a hurry to get out the door.
- You can measure out your correct dose.
- You can avoid the bitter taste by washing it down with your favorite drink or a glass of water.
- If you do not do it right powder may get stuck in the side of your mouth.
- You may still experience a lingering bitter taste if you leave the powder in your mouth for too long.
- Toss n wash could be a method that ends up taking more time if you are unsure how to do it.
Powder is the most efficient way of use. Plus, it is easy to buy it in bulk when taking it in powder form. There are loads of vendors who offer kratom powder in a variety of strains and veins. You can find it in red veins, white veins, green veins, and yellow veins.
You can use your powder to brew tea, which is ideal because loose leaves are hard to come by. You can mix it in a glass of water or your favorite drink to help with the bitter taste of kratom. Some people even add it to food, such as apple sauce or yogurt.
Powdered kratom is easy to come by, but you want to make sure that you always purchase your products from a reliable vendor. We are a part of the American Kratom Association (AKA), which is an organization that advocates for kratom. They also have a list of standards that must be met to join the association. If you are looking for quality kratom, always go with a vendor who is part of the AKA.
It is really an individual thing, so the best way to take kratom can be also in a form of powder.
Here are just some of the strains that we offer:
Taking Kratom in form of powder is also one of the best ways to take kratom.
Now that you know more about the various kratom strains and vein colors that are offered in powder form, let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of using kratom powder.
- Powdered kratom is easily accessible from a multitude of vendors and comes in a variety of strains and vein colors.
- Can be used for the toss and wash method.
- Powder tends to be the cheapest form of kratom and you can buy it in bulk.
- You can construct your own capsules, tea, or tinctures with powder.
- Can be used to mix various strains to experience different levels of wellness that it has to offer.
- Ingesting a lot of plant matter.
- Finely ground powders are harder to neatly contain and measure.
Capsules as one of the best ways to take kratom
The best way to take kratom can also be in form of capsules.
If you are just starting with kratom then we always recommend that you start with capsules. Why? Because it is an easy way to test how sensitive you are to the product and it allows you to take the correct dosing. There are a lot of other reasons why, but these are the main ones.
Capsules come in a variety of strains and veins. You will notice that the bottle will have recommended doses, and you should always start by taking the lowest dose.
Here are just some of the top brands that we offer:
With all products, there are pros and cons, and kratom capsules are no exception. Let’s take a look at why you might want to take kratom capsules or choose a different method.
- Quick and easy way to take your kratom.
- You do not have to measure out your doses so you will be getting the right amount every time.
- A good way to take your kratom on the go.
- Can take it discreetly.
- DIY your kratom capsules at home with some powder and save money.
- Most vendors offer them.
- Tend to be on the pricy side.
- Some people feel that other methods offer a more potent form of kratom.
Extracts and Tinctures
Next up are extracts. Extracts can also be the best way to take kratom. Extracts and tinctures are one of the oldest natural scientific methods in the world. Tinctures are an extract diluted with a liquid base. These extracts will contain all the alkaloids and natural compounds that are found in kratom while allowing users to get a dose that is more convenient than the traditional powder form.
There are different types of extracts, but the most common is the full spectrum. This means that the tincture will contain all of the compounds found in kratom. Tinctures allow you to crate concentrated versions of your favorite botanicals, and kratom is no exception to this.
There is a lot of kratom users who choose to create their own DIY tinctures right at home. In doing so, they are getting a more potent blend of their favorite kratom strain. You will be able to take a smaller dose when using an extract versus powder. The alkaloids will be in a purer state and will be very potent.
What makes tinctures unique is the extraction method. Liquid extracts will use ethanol, water, or maybe even CO2 solvents. The alkaloids are then pulled from the plant to create a potent concentrate. It can then be blended with other natural flavors to make it more pleasant.
Some powdered extracts leave out the solvents. The liquid is evaporated while leaving behind a dry powder that contains the desired alkaloid content. Avid users would agree that extracts are one of the best ways of taking kratom.
It certainly is easier than the toss n wash method, but may not give you the warm and fuzzy feeling that a hot kratom tea provides. It comes down to personal preference as to what is the best way to take it, but many people do choose extract as it is one of the most potent ways to experience kratom.
- Easily taken, as you can dissolve it under your tongue or just place a few drops in your mouth and swallow.
- Has a higher alkaloid content, which means you can use less of your product and save money.
- Since there are more alkaloids in lower volume you will more than likely consume less.
- Takes time to construct tinctures and extracts if trying to do them on your own.
- Not a lot of vendors offer tinctures, so they could be hard to locate.
- Will require you to do some calculations to ensure your dosing is correct.
Tablets & Gum
If you are looking for an easy-on-the-go method of taking your kratom, then tablets or gum could be the best way to take kratom for you. Kratom tablets are created using high-pressure machinery to press the kratom powder tightly. Therefore, the final product will have additives, such as bonding agents.
Kratom gum is a simple and good method to get your dosage, but you could run into issues getting the dosage that you require. You also have to be aware that gum will contain additives.
- Easy way to take kratom, and it is discreet.
- If you have issues with dosing then pre-pressed kratom tablets or gum could be an easy way for you to get a measured dosage.
- Tablets and gum will contain additives.
- Kratom tends to be less potent in tablets and gum.
Vaping is one of the newest ways to get your kratom dosage. You can choose to use a herbal vaporizer or one that accepts vape liquid. Again, it is relatively new so, there are not a lot of vendors who offer vape liquid at the moment. However, you could place the leaves in an herbal vaporizer rather than crushing them into a powder or rolling them into a joint to smoke it.
- A trendy way to take kratom.
- Can use your herb in public without others knowing what you are vaping.
- Not a lot of vendors offer kratom vape liquid.
- Some users say that the vape liquid can clog up the coils on your vaping device.
Now that you know all about the different ways you can use kratom, next, let us explore dosing to ensure you do not take higher doses than you need. Taking Kratom is really an individual thing so vaping can be the best way to take kratom
Generic Guide For Kratom Dosing
You will want to measure your kratom in the most accurate way. Keep in mind that dosing is specific to each person. One person could be more sensitive to a particular strain of kratom than another. That is why we always recommend that you begin on the smallest dosage and work up to the desired level of wellness you are seeking.
Most people use 1 to 3 grams of powder. You should not measure kratom by volume, as it is less accurate. This is because the amount that is within any given volume will highly depend on how fine the powder is ground. On average, 1 teaspoon is going to weigh around 2 grams and 1 level tablespoon will weigh about 6 grams.
Consult your physician if choosing to take any new dietary ingredient. Here is a general guide found through anecdotal experiences online. This is not intended to be perceived as safe medical advice. Please see FDA import alert 54-15.
- Mild dosage – 1 to 2 g (2-4 capsules that are 0.5 grams each)
- Moderate dosage – 2 to 4.5 g (4-9 capsules that are 0.5 grams each)
- High dosage – 4.5 to 8 g (9-16 capsules that are 0.5 grams each)
If you are trying a different strain you should start low as this will allow you to see how well you tolerate it. Once you have found your desired level of balance and well-being, you can adjust your dosing. One teaspoon is roughly 4 grams.
So, if you are currently taking 4 grams of kratom and you are using capsules that house 0.5 grams then you will need 8 capsules to get your complete dose. Be sure that you always use kratom on an empty stomach, as it attaches to the receptors in your stomach. It will be hard for kratom to work efficiently if your stomach is full.
If you are ready to buy kratom and not sure which strain to start with, contact us. We would be happy to help you choose a strain that will cater to your desired level of wellness. Oasis Kratom works hard to provide you with high-quality products and exceptional customer service. We work with all types of kratom users and have the right know-how to guide you in your quest to find the best methods to partake in kratom.
In this article, we have given you a couple of examples of what is the best way to take kratom. Find out more about the history of Kratom at Wikipedia.
Disclaimer: kratom is not used to treat, cure, or mitigate any disease, illness, ailment, and/or condition. Please see FDA import alert 54-15. We make no representations as to intended use or suitability for use.