Many who use kratom like to buy the powder in bulk, but this raises concerns about how to store your kratom appropriately. Many people wonder if it is a good idea to freeze kratom. After all, it’s how you can keep other things fresh, so does it apply to kratom too?
Many factors come into play when it comes to storing your kratom. Here’s what you need to know about freezing kratom and a few do’s and don’ts when it comes to storing the kratom you buy.
Keeping Kratom Fresh
Just as with everything else, kratom has a shelf life before the alkaloids in it start to break down. At room temperature, the shelf life is about three months. However, you can freeze kratom to prolong the shelf life and keep those alkaloids safe from degradation up to about one year.
Remember, kratom is sensitive. If you don’t use it within three months, then the active compounds, or alkaloids, in the plant will reduce in concentration and the quality of the kratom will be impacted. However, with the proper storage techniques in place, you can extend your kratom’s life.
How Does Freezing Kratom Work?
There are key alkaloids in kratom, 7-hydroxymitragynine, and mitragynine. Remember, kratom comes from a plant and these alkaloids are contained in the cells of that plant. When the plant leaves are harvested, dried, and then made into kratom powder, they keep these alkaloids intact.
Freezing kratom causes the plant cells to undergo something called lysis. Lysis is a biology term that basically means the cell walls in the plant. This may sound like a bad thing, but when you freeze a powder-like kratom, this will assist the cells in releasing the alkaloids. This works to keep the alkaloid strength of the kratom potent for longer.
While you can freeze kratom, we do not recommend it. Please only purchase the amount of kratom you will use within 3 months. This will provide you with the best support.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Kratom Storage
There are a few things you should remember no matter how you choose to store your kratom, whether in the freezer or not. A few things you should remember to do no matter what include:
- Keep it airtight – Once the kratom leaves are harvested, they become sensitive to the influences of the environment around them. If you can keep your kratom out of the elements around it by storing it in an airtight container, it’ll last longer. A jar with a tight-fitting lid can do the job or even use vacuum-sealed bags.
- Keep it dry – Liquid is the enemy of a dried product like kratom. Any moisture you can keep out of it will help to increase its shelf life. If liquid does get into it, then it can cause clumping and make the consistency of the powder strange. Plus, any kratom that gets wet can invite mold to grow. If you ever notice mold in any of your kratoms, you should throw it away for safety reasons. Never try to salvage any kratom that has become moldy.
- Keep it dark – Kratom should be stored in a dry, dark place. UV lights including direct sunlight can impact the quality of your kratom.
- Keep the temperature stable – Whether you choose to freeze it or keep it someplace cool, large temperature swings can degrade your kratom. Choose a place that will maintain a consistent temperature for best results.
There are also a few things you should avoid when it comes to storing kratom. You should never:
- Let your kratom breathe – The kratom you have purchased is made from leaves that are now dead, so they don’t need to breathe to stay fresh. Storing kratom in an open-air container or package can lead to contamination and oxidation. Oxidation will damage the alkaloids contained within the kratom.
- Store it someplace damp – Even if you think you’ve got your kratom sealed up air-tight, you shouldn’t rely on the way you’ve packaged it to keep it dry in a damp environment. Any small leak can allow moisture in and that will be the end of your kratom stash.
How Can You Freeze Kratom the Right Way?
Please be advised that we do not recommend freezing kratom. While you can, there is always a chance of it freezing improperly and causing mold. We have some tips to help combat this, but we ask that you buy only the amount that you are going to use within 3 months.
To freeze your kratom successfully, you should invest in vacuum-sealed bags. This will help you to keep oxygen and other elements in the freezer out.
When you’re ready to freeze it, measure out the kratom you want into each freezer-friendly container or vacuum-sealed bag. When they’re packaged up, simply place them in the freezer, clearly marked, so you don’t forget about it!
Once you’re ready to use your kratom and defrost it, it’s a good idea to let it come to room temperature before opening the bag. This is due to humidity that can occur in a big temperature swing, which will impact the alkaloid profile and possibly degrade your kratom.
You can easily freeze kratom in vacuum-sealed bags for up to one year and still enjoy it as fresh as the day you purchased it!
Additional Advice for Kratom
There are a few things that can help you with your kratom. You should:
- Consult with a medical professional – Before you take kratom, always talk to a trusted medical professional for guidance. They are the only ones who can legally advise you on taking kratom.
- Research where you buy – Make sure that any vendor you purchase kratom from has quality, pure kratom for sale. One way you can ensure this is to buy from vendors associated with the American Kratom Association, like Oasis Kratom. This way you know you’re getting lab-tested and quality kratom.
We hope you’ve found a satisfying answer to the question “Is it a good idea to freeze kratom?” No matter how much kratom you choose to buy at once or how you plan to store it, keep in mind that Oasis Kratom is here to help you keep your kratom fresh and the alkaloids robust.