Kratom extracts are just a contained form of kratom. They tend to be more potent than other forms of kratom, which means you can take a smaller amount. There are 3 primary forms of kratom extracts, which include:
- Extract Powder - concentrated from powder
- Extract Tincture - a liquid form of kratom extract
- Extract Resin - Thicker kratom extract paste
Why Make Kratom Extract at Your Place?
Since a lot goes into making an extract, manufacturers typically charge more for kratom extract products. Many vendors choose not to offer extracts because of the additional investment that it calls for. Proper kratom testing is vital to ensure that the products the vendors receive to sell to customers are unadulterated.
Without this rigorous testing, vendors risk getting imported contaminated kratom and the need to discard loads of products. This can lead to large sums of money being lost, which is why many kratom vendors do not offer extracts.
The demand for tinctures and extracts is not nearly as high as for raw kratom powder. With the legalities surrounding kratom, powder tends to be the simplest option for vendors. In addition, many kratom users are not highly satisfied with the extracts that are offered through vendors.
Since extracts are not widely carried, you are likely to only find the most popular strains. If you want to try a less common strain, then your options are to try making your extracts from home.
When making your kratom extracts, you can use your favorite strains and still get your products from the vendors you love. Plus, you can make as much or as little as you want. Tincture extracts are the easiest to make at home from the available ones on the market.
Check out our blog, where you can find out more about where you can buy kratom near you.
How to Produce Kratom Extract?
Kratom extracts can be water or alcohol-based. Both will provide optimal results that can be done right at home. An alcohol base tends to be more effective as it preserves alkaloids for extended periods.
Kratom Extract Ingredients
Users will want to have your ingredients together before starting your extract. This will ensure you do not have a pause in the middle of making your extract to look for an ingredient that is needed.
Gather the following ingredients:
- Kratom powder
- Either ethanol or ethyl alcohol is recommended for kratom extracts. You can opt for 40% concentrated alcohol, such as vodka or rum. You cannot use rubbing alcohol, as it contains harmful chemicals that will create toxic fumes.
- Citric acid or lemon juice helps with the efficiency of the extraction process. When making an alcohol-based extract, it will help stabilize it and slow down the evaporation rate.
- Digital scales to help you accurately evaluate your kratom powder. This will allow you to determine how potent your extract is.
- Measuring cup for measuring out liquids.
- pH strips to determine the acidity level of your kratom extract.
- Tinted bottles to store your extract in. These bottles will protect the extract from light and preserve the alkaloids. For those who plan to use kratom extract long term, it may be a good investment to get bottles that have droppers.
- Mason jars
- Fine strainer to help with separation.
Steps For Producing Kratom Extract
- Begin by choosing the strain of kratom powder or leaves that you want to use. The effects of the extract will highly depend on the strain you choose.
- Measure your kratom - if you are looking for an amount that will fit into a tincture bottle, users will want to use 4 to 5 ounces or 100 to 150 grams of kratom. You can experiment with various amounts once you have gone through the process several times.
- Mix kratom and ethanol - Alcohol-based Extracts will last longer than water-based extracts. They have the benefit of having preservative components. However, you can use distilled water to make your extracts as well if you choose.
- Place the kratom in the jar and ensure it does not take up more than half of the jar. Then submerge with alcohol or water. You will want to use a 1:4 ratio when choosing kratom and alcohol. Therefore, every 4 ounces of kratom will require 1 liter of alcohol. Make sure you mix well.
- Combine the citric acid with the kratom and alcohol mixture to help the extraction process while preserving alkaloids. Citric acid is not Vitamin C, as it is a weak liquid organic acid that can be found at your local grocery store. Alternatively, you could also use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Use the pH strips to check the acidity. You will want it to reach pH4. Once it hits this level, you can stop adding citric acid. If you add too much, it will be too acidic, which may cause canker sores in the mouth.
- Add glycerin to your mixture. There is no recommended amount, as this step is optional. It simply helps break down the byproducts of oils and fats. Ensure that the result maintains the 1:4 ratio. Glycerin can be an excellent alternative for those who cannot drink alcohol or have a health condition requiring very little sugar.
- Once the blend is in a sealed jar, users will want to shake it vigorously. Do this until the liquid has a smooth consistency. Once this is done, choose one of the following methods to proceed with:
- Place the jar in a cool dark area for a week.
- Place the jar in a pot of hot water and let sit for about an hour. Repeat this process two more times.
- Place the jars in a crockpot and cook them on low for about 3 days.
- Once your mixture has been set for the allotted time, you will want to use your strainer or cheesecloth to efficiently strain your liquid. Any remaining leaves or particles will need to be thrown away.
- Put the liquid back into the jars and leave it to evaporate. Once half of the liquid disappears, pour your Tincture into bottles. Be patient, because this part of the process will take time.
While water-based extracts are less potent than alcohol-based ones, they are still viable. To make a water-based extract, you will use raw kratom leaves. They can either be dissolved in a mixture of ethanol and water. You will want to add some citric acid to help preserve your Tincture. You can follow the steps we listed above to make your water-based extract.
Once blending the mixture, it must be left in a dark place for 1 to 2 weeks to allow it to steep. You will strain it and let half of the liquid evaporate. You can see the process is identical to that of an alcohol-based extract. Glycerin can be added to help balance out the acidity.
Tea is one of the simplest forms of kratom extract. It is simply steeped in water to make a tea you can drink. It does not require a lot of preparation, and you can access it whenever you want. Remember that kratom tea is not very concentrated unless left too steep for a long time. Kratom tea is easy to flavor, and you can combine more than one type of kratom into your extract. You will not want to make your water too hot, as this will affect the alkaloids.
Check out our blog, where you can learn more about how to produce kratom tea.
Resin is a semi-solid form of kratom rather than a liquid. Because they do not contain a lot of liquid in them, they are highly concentrated. However, they are somewhat difficult to make but faster than water-based extracts.
Add water to your kratom powder; just do something over it. Make sure to mix it well and add lemon juice. Once steeped overnight, you will want to freeze the mixture solid. Add the frozen kratom to boiling water, add lime juice, and allow it to simmer until at least a quarter of the water is gone.
Strain the mixture after it cools down, and evaporate half of the strained water. Simmer the wet powder with water and juice once again. You will want to simmer and filter the powder at least one more time. Ensure that the water is soaked and add it to an oven-safe dish. You will not want it to be any more than 3 inches deep. Cook at 150 to 210 degrees. Once the water becomes vapor, a thick resin will be left behind.
Click here to find out if kratom is legal in your state.
Extracts could include teas, liquids, and resins. These extracts will provide a potent quantity of your favorite kratom strain. We hope this answers all your concerns regarding how to produce kratom extract at home. If you have questions, comment below or use our online contact form. Check out our shop where you can find your favorite strains of kratom powder and capsules.
Can you smoke kratom? Check out our blog to find out.